Sparta Ski Team Attendance Policy:
In order to develop team unity and to properly condition our athletes, it is expected that all racers make it a priority to be part of the Sparta Ski Team. Attendance is mandatory for all team meetings, dry-land training sessions, mountain training practices and race day events. This is key to having a fun, safe, and successful experience with the team. From time to time, our practice schedule and race schedule may change; this does not alter the fact that attendance is still mandatory. We are here to work hard and get better and when you aren't here, it hurts you and your team that is trying to improve. Race lineups are determined by performance time as well as individual effort during our practice sessions. Unexcused absences will be penalized.
Absence from dry-land practice due to a fall sport: During the first two weeks of the season, an athlete will be permitted to finish fall sport/activity obligations. This needs to be communicated to the head coach and a plan put in place to meet the required dry-land training sessions and for a safe transition into ski season.
It is recognized that there may be circumstances where it is not possible for an athlete to attend a training practice or a race. The following regulations will apply under those circumstances.
Excused Absence From Training:
Excused Absences From Training Are Limited To The Following:
- Absence From School - Required to notify Coach via email, text or phone.
- Leaving School Early Due To Illness - Written verification from school nurse required. Notify Coach via email, text or phone.
- Physical Injury that renders the athlete incapable of participating in any training. Written verification from a doctor, school nurse or trainer required.
- School Function - Limit of two (ie. school concert, field trip, DECA, Model UN Trip). Please notify Coach 1 week in advance.
Unexcused Absence From Training:
All other absences will be considered unexcused. Failure to notify Coach of an excused absence could possibly result in the absence being treated as unexcused.
Consequences For Unexcused Absences:
- 1 Unexcused Absence: Will result in the athlete being placed 2 places lower on team seeding for next race.
- 2 Unexcused Absences: Will result in the athlete being placed at the end of their respective race order (last seed of Varsity if a Varsity racer, last seed of JV if a JV racer) for the next race.
- 3 Unexcused Absences: Will result in the athlete being demoted from Varsity to JV, or JV to X racer (if no X racers, then last racer) for next race.
- 4 Unexcused Absences: Will result in the athlete being ineligible to race at the next race. Once an athlete reaches four unexcused absences, the coach will have a phone call or meeting with parents about the level of commitment from the racer and desire to stay on the team.
- 5 Unexcused Absences: Will result in the athlete being ineligible to race at the next two races.
- 6 Unexcused Absences: Will result in the athlete being asked to leave the team (Coach's discretion).
Absence The Practice Before A Race:
- An Excused absence the practice before a race, will result in the athlete being placed at the end of their respective race order (last seed of Varsity if a Varsity racer, last seed of JV if a JV racer) for the next race.
- An Unexcused absence the practice before a race may result in being restricted from racing at the upcoming race or at a minimum will result in a movement down from Varsity to JV, or JV to X racer for the upcoming race. If there are no X racers, then to the bottom of the race lineup.
Absence Day Of A Race:
Excused absences from Racing:
Please notify coach 1 week in advance if you are going to miss a race.
Consequences For Unexcused Absences from Racing:
A member of the Varsity team will be seeded to JV team, and a JV team member will be seeded as an X Racer or last in the JV category if no X Racers exist. Other repercussions may be decided at the discretion of the Head Coach.
All athletes must have a) a minimum of six (6) dry-land practices with their Coach in order to compete; b) a minimum of three (3) practices on snow with their high school Coach/team in order to compete, and; c) at least one (1) day of training specific to the type of race, slalom or giant slalom, in order to race in that particular type of race.
*Note: The Sparta High School Student Handbook policy requires attendance during the school day in order to attend practice or a race.