Sparta Ski Team Attendance Policy:
In order to develop team unity and to condition our racers, it is expected that athletes make it a priority to be part of the ski team. Attendance is mandatory for all team meetings, dry-land training sessions, mountain training practices and race day events. This is key to having a fun, safe, and successful experience with the Sparta Ski Team.
This is a Ski Racing Team, NOT a ski club. We are here to work and get better and when you aren't here, it hurts you and your team that is trying to improve. Absences will be penalized, more than five unexcused absences and you will be asked to leave the team.
It is recognized that there may be circumstances where it is not possible for an athlete to attend a training practice or a race. The following regulations will apply under those circumstances.
Absence from practice: During the first two weeks of the season, an athlete will be permitted to finish fall sport/activity obligations. This needs to be communicated to the head coach and a plan put in place for safe transition into ski season.
Being sick and racing: in the interest of athlete health, absence from school due to illness on day preceding a race requires head coach's specific approval to travel and/or participate. Further, any absenteeism on days proceeding races will also require evaluation of athlete's safe future participation.
During the season, we recognize the importance of other activities such as academics, band, church, family responsibilities, etc. The athlete is required to inform head coach of upcoming conflicts and provide a plan to stay on task with daily workouts.
Absences from Training:
Excused Absences from Training Include:
- Absence From School
- Illness Written verification from a doctor or school nurse may be required.
- Physical Injury that renders the athlete incapable of participating in any training. Written verification from a doctor, school nurse or trainer may be required.
- School Function - Limit of two (ie. school concert, field trip, DECA, Model UN Trip)
Excused absences will require a signed parent note, text message, Remind message, e-mail, or telephone call to the Head Coach prior to practice from a parent.
Consequences For Unexcused Absences from Training:
- 1 Unexcused Absence: Will result in the athlete being placed 2 places lower on team seeding for next race.
- 2 Unexcused Absence: Will result in the athlete being placed at the end of their respective race order (last seed of Varsity if a Varsity racer, last seed of JV if a JV racer) for the next race.
- 3 Unexcused Absences: Will result in the athlete being demoted from Varsity to JV, or JV to X racer (if no X racers, then last racer) for next race.
- 4 Unexcused Absences: Will result in the athlete being ineligible to race at the next race. Once an athlete reaches four unexcused absences, the coach will have a phone call or meeting with parents about the level of commitment from the racer and desire to stay on the team.
- 5 Unexcused Absences: Will result in the athlete being ineligible to race at the next two races.
- 6 Unexcused Absences: Will result in the athlete being asked to leave the team (coach's discretion).
Absence Before Race:
- An Excused Absence the practice before a race, will result in the athlete being placed at the end of their respective race order (last seed of Varsity if a Varsity racer, last seed of JV if a JV racer) for the next race.
- An Unexcused Absence the practice before a race may result in being restricted from racing at the upcoming race or at a minimum will result in a movement down from Varsity to JV, or JV to X racer for the upcoming race. If there are no X racers, then to the bottom of the race lineup.
Absences from Racing:
Excused absences from Racing:
Please notify coach 1 week in advance if you are going to miss a race.
Consequences For Unexcused Absences from Racing:
A member of the Varsity team will be seeded to JV team, and a JV team member will be seeded as an X Racer or last in the JV category if no X Racers exist. Other repercussions may be decided at the discretion of the Head Coach.
Coaches’ word is FINAL, PERIOD. The RACE ORDER is determined by the Head Coach and Assistant Coaches, no room for discussion or dissent, PERIOD. Play your role as a racer on a TEAM and do what is best for the TEAM, not you as an individual.
*Note: The Sparta High School Student Handbook policy requires attendance during school day in order to attend practice/race.